Crawford County, Pennsylvania
"HISTORY OF THE VILLAGES AND TOWNSHIPS OF CRAWFORD COUNTY."
Troy was formed in 1830. Its area is seventeen thousand five hundred and eighty-one acres. Population in 1870 was nine hundred and eighty-three. James Luse, from New Jersey, in 1795, was the pioneer of this section. His location was on the farm occupied by his grandson, Robert A. Luse. At that time there was no settler within a radius of nine miles. How would the present generation have emulated Luse? In the solitude of the forest would come thoughts of a far-away, early home, of absent friends, of youthful scenes, and festive enjoyment; and such reflections gave a sombre hue to pioneer life in the heart of a great wilderness. Woman had her full share, but, so far, brief mention, in the discomforts of this forest life. No wonder that on her first introduction to the log cabin, wood-encircled, her heart sank within her. No wonder if, when her children asked her, "Mother, is this home?" her only answer was a gush of tears. Sweet memories of distant friends, church privileges, and a thousand nameless comforts, contrasting, made the situation painful. But, turning to the future, an old age was seen in the midst of happy homes. It was glorious to have taken part in so grand a development of the land. The forest fell, population came, and again the amenities and comforts of society were enjoyed; again the church and school advantages were realized. Luse brought the third wagon from Pittsburgh for Meadville. In 1833 Jacob Rishel accompanied his father from Cooperstown, New York, and settled in Troy Township. A road was cut for the passage of a yoke of oxen for nine miles, at that late date. John McKenzie was a settler about the same time as Rishel, but sold out in March, 1838, to P. Faunce, who located upon the tract which lies in the western part of the township.
There are two villages in the township, of small size, known as Troy Centre and Newtontown. The first occupant of the former was a negro named "Black Francis." The first white resident was Peter Keyes. Newtontown is situated in the eastern part, and has its name from Edmond C. Newton, who located there on January 6, 1847. Newton purchased of Samuel Sinclair, a probable settler from 1817 to date of sale. The improvements of thirty years on two hundred acres of land were a log hut, a saw-mill, and four acres cleared.
1. Combination Atlas Map of Crawford County, Pennsylvania, Compiled, Drawn and Published From Personal Examinations and Surveys (Philadephia: Everts, Ensign & Everts, 1876), 25.